Stampede Impressions
Marty has written a lot about the Stampede. He suggested that I write some impressions. I really enjoyed the rodeo and the draft horse demonstrations. Living in central Pennsylvania, I see Amish draft horses working in the fields and pulling carriages along the roads. These are hard working animals. There is a Percheron horse farm near Colyer Lake. Percherons are big beautiful horses. The Percherons at the Stampede were groomed and fancied up for the rodeo. It was like seeing a familiar person all dressed up to go out. I have never been a horseback rider or had much interest in horses. The agility and beauty of the animals was fun to watch.
![]() |
| Percherons were well-represented among the carriage horses |
The Stampede has lots of vendors and exhibitions on farming. Centre County has one of the last tent encampment fairs in the United States, the Grange Fair. People come and live in tents for two weeks. There are tractor pulls, vendors, a midway, entertainment and animal competitions. The usual county fair competitions of vegetables, handmade goods and baked goods. The exhibits and competitions are not as fancy as the ones at the Stampede. Many of the animal competitors are 4-H or FFA members. Young people raising goats, pigs, rabbits, ducks, geese, chickens, pigs and any kind of farm animal and competing. I enjoy the home grown aspect of the Grange Fair. The winning pig of the pig competition is auctioned off and butchered. The reality of where our food comes from is brought to home. It is a little less plastic wrapped and sanitized.
The Rodeo was a new experience for me. It was fun to watch the various competitions. I could see where some of the talents displayed would be of value on a ranch. It was a beautiful day and I enjoyed every minute. I made a friend with the well-behaved two year old who sat in front of me. She was a curly haired wonder. She sat for over an hour before trying to get up.
![]() |
| The day's rodeo participants lined up at the start of each day of the rodeo |
I appreciated the lavish fireworks at the Stampede. Every outdoor event I attended, there were fireworks.
![]() |
| A taste of the evening fireworks |



Comments
Post a Comment