Edmonton
When planning our trip, I asked that we stop in Edmonton to see the Presbyterian Church. It added about 400 miles to our trip but Marty agreed. My great-grandmother was one of five children. One of her sisters, Catherine, married Dr. David McQueen. Dr McQueen was pastor to the Edmonton Presbyterian church for 43 years, 1887 - 1930. Dr McQueen was the first Moderator of the Synod of Alberta in 1907. In 1912, the year the church was dedicated, he was the Moderator of the General Assembly of Edmonton.
![]() |
| Edmonton, Alberta, on the North Saskatchewan River |
I heard stories about the McQueens growing up. I inherited my grandfather’s copy of Dr McQueen’s biography. I read it and was impressed by his dedication to church and public education.
I did a lot of planning for this trip but fell short on this one. I never checked the church hours or called for a tour. Marty and I arrived at the church, took a few photos outside, but the church was closed. Feeling bad I checked on the web site to find the morning hours in hopes that I might be able to stop by the next day. It turns out it was Edmonton Historical Week and that very evening an organ demonstration and guided tour of the Presbyterian church was being held from 7:30 - 9; no pre-registration or fees required. We checked into the Holiday Inn Express next door, rather than drive 40 miles in the late evening to our campground, and waited for the program.
![]() |
| The 1st Presbyterian Church of Edmonton is overshadowed by modern growth |
![]() |
| The front of the First Presbyterian Church |
The chimes played as we entered the church. The program was in two parts, an organ demonstration and a history of the church with a tour. The music part of the program was first. The choir director and her organist husband gave an entertaining and interesting talk. The organ was built by Casavant Freres Ltee, a Montreal company still in business today. It is an enormous organ with wooden and metal pipes. The good acoustics were mentioned several times. The huge vaulted ceiling made of wood makes for good sound. The big size of the church (it can seat 1000 people) also helps with the sound quality. The church originally sat 1200. Several pews in the front were removed to give more room for performances.
![]() |
| The huge organ at the First Presbyterian Church |
The tour and history of the church was presented by Judy, an elder of the church. The Presbyterian church is run by clergy and an elected board of elders. The originally planned presenter had met with an accident and Judy stepped up and presented. She gave an enthusiastic talk. Many facts and figures were presented which kept my attention. One interesting fact was that the church was built in eight months. Marty and I walked through the enormous building. The original Sunday school rooms are now used by a local music group. There are currently 200 members in the congregation. It made me wonder how long the building will be a church as well as an historic landmark.
![]() |
The upper rooms above a music room, which used to be a Sunday school, now house a museum of the Church |
![]() |
| Dr McQueen laying the church cornerstone in 1911 |
One of the last rooms we toured had a photo of Catherine McQueen which made my evening.
Serendipity came my way. Christina, our daughter has a mantra for traveling, whatever happens is ok and can be dealt with, and sometimes it is a fantastic surprise.








How wonderful. Great story and I'm glad that worked out well.
ReplyDelete